Strange Buzzing in Klunker Trichord

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Aug 9 13:40:27 MDT 2006

Greg,

Does the buzz occur if you pluck the string?  Loose windings? Try damping
non speaking lengths of the string? Is this particular string corroded badly
anywhere?

My bet is on loose/corroded windings for the noise.

As to the action bolts.  If they are bent that badly, I might bend them up a
bit - leaving them low enough to still be a little snug on the action.
Also, a medium to large pair of channel locks can be used to pull the action
off - one jaw on the bolt, one on the backside of the action  bracket.
Though, if it's that tight, you probably would be doing some damage to the
bolt threads trying to slide the action over it repeatedly.

First thing is solve the problem with removing the action.  You really don't
want to be in a place where you are afraid to do proper service to this
instrument for fear of R&R the action.  ?Comprende?

Regards,
William R. Monroe