Wapin revisited

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Aug 12 17:45:12 MDT 2006

At 4:54 pm -0600 12/8/06, Cy Shuster wrote:

>Why the zig-zag on the bridge, anyway?  Why not a half-round with a
>single bridge pin?

Many 'baby grands' over here have only a single pin on the bass
bridge, and to conteract the side draft on the bridge about half the
strings splay right to the hitch-plate and half to the left.

One of the most interesting arrangements I've seen recently was on a
5ft Petersen (Denmark) double overstrung grand with a tremendous bass
sound for such a small piano.  Into the bass bridge were screwed
square steel pillars about 6 x 6mm, threaded at the bottom.  Since
there are two levels of strings on the bridge crossing over each
other at an angle, the pillars for the lowest strings are taller.  A
slot is cut in the pillar at an downward angle to the speaking length
and it is the acute angle at the front of the slot that serves to
terminate the speaking length.  The lower plane of strings are, so
far as I remember, about 15mm above the wood of the bridge and the
higher plane about 25mm.  Incidentally there was no difficulty in
tuning the piano after a full internal rebuild.

JD