Wapin Revisted

Timothy Coates tim.coates at wapin.com
Sat Aug 12 19:46:34 MDT 2006

My wife Gayle and I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Ric Brekne and
his wife Siri at Rochester, NY and in Sioux Falls, SD.  We really envy
their trip through the US this summer.

Ric mentioned revisiting the Wapin Bridge.  There were many highlights
to this year's convention for me.  Not only getting to know Ric, but
Dr. Stephen Birkett.  Stephen contacted the Wapin Company about taking
High Speed video of a Wapin Bridge.  We were able to video a "before"
and "after" of a Yamaha C5.

The Wapin Bridge was not the only high speed video taken at the
convention.  I have been surprised there has been nothing mentioned
about it.  The Wapin Bridge was just a very small part of the video
work done.

We initially took video of four strings in four different areas and
marked them for the video "after".  Unfortunately,  while the exhibit
hall was closed someone took it upon themselves to remove the markers.
Fortunately,  they were not able to remove all of the marker from one
of the bass strings.   The "after" video was taken in the "Rebuilders
Gallery".  It showed exactly what Michael Wathen has been saying
happens from day one:  The waves rebound off the bridge with more
intensity.  It is very evident beginning with the rebound of the very
first wave.   The rebounded waves reinforce the standing wave.   A
picture is worth a thousand words.

The samples were taken with a forte-fortissimo blow.  I assure you the
sound does not break up.

There will be a DVD available with all the video from the convention.
I really don't know who to contact about the DVD.

Tim Coates
Wapin Company, LLP