Key Bushing Clearance/Friction, was: Key mortise correction

Roger Jolly roger.j at sasktel.net
Sun Aug 13 10:38:01 MDT 2006

Hi Terry,
                     The brass cauls will take all the guess work out
of key fitting.  The Rheostat is some thing I have been meaning to
purchase for about 10yrs ;-), I used to use the Teflon powder, but
have found the very thin smear of protech grease faster, and giving
similar results.  Dave had a concern about dirt sticking to the
grease, quite valid.
I have not noticed a problem and have been doing it for yrs.
A point to stress. Sizing the bushings is always the first step, so
you can accurately trouble shoot other potential problems..
  Letting the key slide down the BR pin will not tell you weather it
is a bushing, BR hole, or mortice, that is causing the
problem.  Ironing the bushing removes one element from the equation,
setting the BR hole height, removes another element.   After this is
done, now is the time to ease BR holes and NOT before.
Stabbing in the dark is not the way to attain high performance work.
Thing the problem through is.

Regards Roger