Downbearing

David B. Stang stangdave at columbus.rr.com
Tue Aug 15 10:18:54 MDT 2006

Ric,
I think the String Angle from front termination  =  0.66 deg
and the angle from the aliquot/hitchpin          =  1.33 deg

You got them swapped. Just by observation, the angle from the front should be smaller
than the back since the speaking length is larger than the back length.

(By the way, I was less bothered by the commas than by the 10 digits of precision.
Any more than 2 or 3 digits doesn't mean much.)

I have attached a diagram to show how I think you arrived at these numbers. The
red line represents the string. The angle at the bridge is c. The string displacement
is the length Z. a is the front angle, b is the back angle.
     Z = X sin(a)
     Z = Y sin(b)
     d = a + b      where d = (180 - c)
therefore
     X sin(a) = Y sin(b)
so
     sin a  =  (Y/X) sin( d - a )   =  (25/50) sin( 2deg - a )

solving for a (transcendental equation):
     a = arcsin (  (1/2) sin( 2 - a ) )

this gives a = 0.66 deg, b = 1.33 deg , Z = .58 mm

(Actually for such small angles, it's a pretty good approximation simply to say
     a = (1/2)b
     d = a + b
which gives you the same result to the 4th decimal place)

The force can be considered as vectors similar to the triangle of lengths,
where the "X" and "Y" contributions are added:

     force = 160 lbs ( sin(a) + sin(b) )  = 5.58 lbs

-- someone correct me if I'm wrong. --

Being kind of a Newbie, I'm still not always clear on what people mean when they
say "downbearing". I wonder if everyone is on the same page. Downbearing is really a
force, right?  So when someone refers to "downbearing" as an angle, or as a length,
what are they talking about??  Which angle?? Which length??  If the point is to recreate
the same downbearing on a rebuild, then it doesn't matter I guess, as long as you
measure the same thing before and after.  But if you make a general statement like
"good downbearing in the treble is .1-inch", are you talking about the string displacement
at the bridge from the horizontal, or what?? Does such a general statement make any sense,
since Downbearing is really a force, and the same displacement on different pianos would
result in different forces??

Thanks. And thanks for the opportunity to refresh some of my trig.
Dave