My first bit of bad news

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Aug 15 14:58:38 MDT 2006

Cracks in the soundboard of this piano are likely to be its least problem. As far as the buzz goes, they can be challenge to isolate, but often a touch of glue, a screw, a strategically jammed business card, etc. will solve the problem in no time.

And if it is miracles the owner expects, then perform them - just let her know they are going to cost her though!

Regardless of what she paid for it, if the piano is not worth the input of $$ to get it to the point where it meets her needs, then by all means inform her of that very clearly.

I tuned a piano today for a new customer. She is apparently a good intermediate-level classical player. She just bought a good condition 1950 Baldwin spinet for $900. I told her it needed about $1,000 of maintenance-type work (regulation, key bushings, a few other worn items, etc.) to get it to play as well as a well-maintained 50 year old Baldwin spinet can. I also informed her that she can buy an excellent condition Yamaha studio piano that will outperform her spinet by a factor of at least 10 for less than $2,000.

Hey, what can I say, the truth sometimes hurts.

As far as your husband goes........ well, that's OT....  ;-)

Terry Farrell