Nightmare & Question

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Aug 15 15:06:28 MDT 2006

HTML MessageIf most of the centers are tight, my personal favorite first bandage try is alcohol/water bushing shrink treatment. If there are a few that don't respond, then I hit 'em with Protek. I have found that most Protek applications for tight centers is a long-term fix.

In a situation like this, the proper fix is to rebush and repin. Likely this piano is not worth that investment. I make it a point to tell the owner what the proper fix is and what that would cost. Then I explain there are less expensive band-aid approaches that often work very well - although no guarantees - the only way I will guarantee work is if the proper fix is used - that way if the darn things seize up again, they "can't" blame you (although, of course, they will!).

Terry Farrell