Downbearing

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Tue Aug 15 15:26:25 MDT 2006

Hi Dave

Right you are.  Fortunatly my spread sheet had it right.. I just typed
it in wrong.  I more or less followed your reasoning. But I didnt use
your angle d.  Used the Cosinus longform ( c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab * Cos
C) sentence to get the undeflected string length, then figured the front
and back angles by way of Sin C / c = Sin A / a = Sin B / b.  That
yeilds the rest... component angles of C and height. Which in turn yeild
force vector values for the undeflected string, the deflected strings
downwards force as a whole, and the componet values of this last for
front and back lengths.

Sorry bout the lengthy numbers...  :)... just copied straight from a
still very rough spreadsheet.

Cheers
RicB

---------
Ric,
I think the String Angle from front termination  =  0.66 deg
and the angle from the aliquot/hitchpin          =  1.33 deg

You got them swapped. Just by observation, the angle from the front
should be smaller
than the back since the speaking length is larger than the back length.

(By the way, I was less bothered by the commas than by the 10 digits of
precision.
Any more than 2 or 3 digits doesn't mean much.)

I have attached a diagram to show how I think you arrived at these
numbers. The
red line represents the string. The angle at the bridge is c. The string
displacement
is the length Z. a is the front angle, b is the back angle.
     Z = X sin(a)
     Z = Y sin(b)
     d = a + b      where d = (180 - c)
therefore
     X sin(a) = Y sin(b)
so
     sin a  =  (Y/X) sin( d - a )   =  (25/50) sin( 2deg - a )

solving for a (transcendental equation):
     a = arcsin (  (1/2) sin( 2 - a ) )

this gives a = 0.66 deg, b = 1.33 deg , Z = .58 mm

(Actually for such small angles, it's a pretty good approximation simply
to say
     a = (1/2)b
     d = a + b
which gives you the same result to the 4th decimal place)

The force can be considered as vectors similar to the triangle of lengths,
where the "X" and "Y" contributions are added:

     force = 160 lbs ( sin(a) + sin(b) )  = 5.58 lbs

-- someone correct me if I'm wrong. --