Vienese pinblock repair

John Tonyan tonyanj at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 16 14:13:28 MDT 2006

I was asked to repair an open-faced pinblock on an old Produktiv
Genossenchaft Grand which was restrung and is giving way in the upper
section. The wood is being crushed and the tuning pin holes are elongated
(see attachments).

The client is selling the piano and wants to invest as little as necessary
to make it a sound, antique instrument. The piano is not local however and I
am concerned about the time and equipment needed to do a satisfactory job.

My first thought was to epoxy the whole thing and then drill out new holes.
I could conceivably do this without major machinery, but would certainly
require a day for the epoxy to cure.

I then saw a plugging job, nicely done, but I don’t know if it could be
accomplished any faster and it seems that it would demand a portable drill
press with a creative mounting method.

If I follow the epoxy method, one question is:
	How much smaller than the tuning pins should the drill be?
	(Will it be different from an all-wood pinblock?)

If I plug, there are many items:
	Plug cutter (source) and size of drill for installation
	Drilling pattern
	Set-up time for glued plugs
	Time

I can’t think of any thing else to add right now.

Thanks,
John