Soundboard Deflection and Pitch Change / was Downbearing

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Thu Aug 17 01:18:11 MDT 2006

Hi all

A few posts back Ron N repeated in passing something that he's had up a
few times that  I think more then a few of us have not looked closely
enough at... and perhaps because on the surface perhaps its far to easy
to take some things more for granted then we should. In any case this
applies to me in this instance.

For as long as I can remember I've been under the impression that
soundboard deflection changes substantially enough due to climatic
changes to account for at least some significant amount of the seasonal
pitch changes and tuning instability.  At this point... I'm not so sure
about that at all any more. In fact it <<looks>> like the contribution
to pitch change from soundboard deflection is nearly insignificant...
almost negligible !

Let me illustrate..given the following, and by all means check my
figurings... (for the moment disregard the width of the bridge and deal
in simple triangle trig)

- an undeflected string tension of 160 lbs.
- string diameter of 0,8 mm.
- front length of 50 mm.
- back length of 25 mm.

This yields a front length frequency of roughly 4248.88 Hz.  f = SQRT((T
* 398 *10^6)/(L^2d^2))

If you then deflect this string 1 mm upwards you get a string deflection
angle of a whopping 3.46 ¤,  a downwards force of 9.59 lbs, and a
frequency of 4248.98 hz. Thats only a change of 0.106 hz.... at note 88
or there abouts.  Even a 2 mm deflection would'nt increase the frequency
of the string more then 0.42 hz and that would at the same time cause a
string deflection angle of 6.87 ¤ !! and a downbearing force of just
over 19 lbs... for just one string ! You'd be quickly over 3000 lbs of
total downbearing force on the soundboard...

If these figures are correct... then clearly soundboard deflection can
nearly be ignored when it comes to pitch changes.  Because in order for
the soundboard to deflect the strings enough to make a significant
change in frequency, it would have to create such gargantuan deflection
angles that the resulting downbearing force would be waaaaaaaay  to
great for the soundboard assembly to bear.  Even if you figure a total
downbearing force of 900 lbs... distributed evenly over roughly 240
strings... thats about 3.75 lbs a string. A single 1 mm of deflection
for the above string. more then doubles that.

As the strings get longer.. the increase in string deflection angles and
downwards force for increase in pitch gets worse. A 1000 mm string of
1.1 mm diameter with the same 160 lbs undeflected tension will only
increase 0.016 hz in frequency for a 1 mm deflection... and that
deflection costs  6.56 lbs in terms of downwards force on the
bridge/soundboard and results in a 2.44 ¤ string deflection angle.

Ok.. this (if I've figured things right)  raises several questions in my
mind right off.  First and obviously... how does one account for
seasonal pitch changes then ?!? Secondly... the bulk of the downwards
pressure is on the back edge of the bridge.  A real string deflection
spaces the two triangles in the above example so that tho string tension
may remain the same (theoretically) across the whole length of the
bridge... the downwards forces applied at the bridge itself are a result
of the angles at each edge.  And if the bridge surface is parallel to
the undeflected string plane... the downwards force would be in the
neighborhood of 75 % on the back edge... which I cant imagine would do
the bridge / soundboard assembly any good in terms of long term stress.
I.e. the question in my last post... what do you do to deal with that
situation when you are setting up a new bridge and downbearing ?  Then
thirdly... and this goes back to the origional post that started me off
on this train... why should the bridge as a second class lever cause any
concern ?  I mean... if a soundboard can't in fact cause enough change
in string deflection to even effect a significant change in ptich to
begin with... then why worry about the seemingly low changes in
downwards force distributed across the whole of the bridge ??

More questions to be sure.  And I would be very greatfull for some
answers / discussion... :)

Cheers
RicB