Broken fingers on brass plate

Alan R. Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 17 15:58:21 MDT 2006

See Schaff page 99 for some options, including duplication of the rail or various repair clips. The brass breaks because it becomes brittle over time: If more than one is broken, you can count on more of them breaking. Putting in a new rail or converting are better options in the long run and this should be explained to the customer, IMO.
If it's really just "a broken finger or two", you can try the clips but I'd quote other options to the customer and explain what's going on.
Are there brass plates on the hammer flanges, too? Are they breaking? Are they bent and not holding the center pins tightly? If so, replace the set -- just like old plastic flanges, these are going to continue breaking and it's easier and cheaper for the customer to just fix it right than to patch, patch, patch. If this job is necessary and you don't already have one, you really need to buy (Schaff p.63) or make a Butt Plate Inserter. The job, otherwise, will cause rapid hair loss and pattern balding, i.e., you'll be ripping out handfulls.
Alan Barnard
Salem, MO
Joshua 24:15