* Re: preparations

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Thu Aug 17 16:02:24 MDT 2006

Hi Geoff.

Comments interspersed.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoff Sykes" <thetuner at ivories52.com>
To: "'Pianotech List'" <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 9:33 PM
Subject: RE: * Re: preparations

Name calling is not necessary, nor appreciated, on this list in order to
make a point.

- Whose name did I call ?  Rereading my post, I find only Mozart, Stravinsky
and the average Joes, and certainly not in a way to get angry about.

And just because your taste in music is narrow minded

- now THIS is objectable !

does not mean that the music you are unable to appreciate should not be
considered
music(al).

- with this I agree.

There is a lot more out there than just 12 tone western.

- sure, I'm aware of this.

And just because an instrument is "designed" to function one way should not
limit the
player in his/her quest to make it produce non-traditional sounds.

- about sounds produced by instruments outside their usual use, I believe
this : when it works, it works.  When it doesn't, no side effect will make
me believe it is fantastic.  A soprano screaming like a murdered cat, well,
I myself do not find that interesting (of course, if you do, good for you).
But I think (and don't forget to tell me what you think, in a polite way if
possible) that she is doing that for a reason that is not essencially
musical, but kind of social instead.  You wouldn't believe what a difference
it makes for a soprano to be "considered" or not.  And you wouldn't believe
on what basis they are actually considered.  Same for other instruments.

Are you against guitar players that also thump their guitar for percussion
sounds?

- well, depending on the context, my opinion would vary from yes for sure to
no not at all.  By the way, this is a traditional way of approaching the
guitar strings in flamenco music.  Again, if it works, it works.

Why should a piano player limit themselves to what 200 years of tradition
and culture have to offer?

- Maybe not limit, ok, but at least get to know that tradition before
burying it (in case there is some useful meaning underlying).

There is a place for John Cage whether or not you
can appreciate his music.

- I agree once again.  Indeed I don't like Cage's very much.  But if you
know the person and his work, you will agree that his pertinence is more at
the level of the idea than that of the music.  Did you know for example that
he wrote a piece where nothing happens but the audience making the usual
background noise while waiting, then exasperating (nothing else happens) and
going away ? This is an attitude, whose only merit is to be new (and
provocative).  But this kind of "musical" idea will not make a tradition in
the future, believe me.  Same for his piece where some dude throws a box
full of teaspoons on the ground and that's it (does anybody know howmuch
copyright he got for this ? (if any.))

Don't dis Stephen Scott's bowed piano compositions
just because the piano is being played non-traditionally.

- This composer I don'tknow.  But I will try and hear some from him (I am
curious).

There is such a large audience for microtonal music that Sauter even
manufactures a 1/16
tone microtonal piano. (see link below)

- Now this is something else.  Unlike atonal music (whic was an intellectual
system, after all very simple, maybe poor), microtonal music is the natural
evolution of tonal music.  It relies on the lessons of the tradition.  It is
completely different to master the tradition and then try a step further,
than to invent something completely new from scratch.  Think of a new
language that you create : after 3 years practicing it, you reach with that
new language the pertinence of a 3 years old child learning his mother
language (maybe not even, if you are older, one learns not so fast anymore).
Now go on, and write us a nice poem in that language.
But about gongs, I prefer the 2000 years Tibetan tradition to the piano prep
approach, sorry.
Thanks for the interesting link.

In other words, you get to not like
whatever you want. And you are entitled to your opinions. I would like to
suggest, however, that the pianoTech forum is not a place where you get to
throw epithets at that those of us that DO appreciate, or perform, these
alternative definitions of music.

- I'm not conscious that I trew ugly epithets at anybody's head.  I just
mentionned that the behaviour of trying (in this case by musical means) to
show that you are mightier than your neighbour, is a primitive one, which
doesn't mean pejorative.
I will again say that I think that the one who does appreciate something
(anything) is, in my eyes, happier than the one who doesn't.  Very good for
him, and for me (I like to see people happy).  I myself and for my own sake
am just hunting the fakes.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.

http://www.sauter-pianos.de/english/pianos/microtone.html