Soundboard Deflection and Pitch Change / was Downbearing

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Aug 18 02:02:58 MDT 2006

At 8:23 am +0200 18/8/06, Ric Brekne wrote:

>Is this standard practice for most rebuilders ?

I doubt it very much, but look at the practice of a few good makers
from the good old days; see whether the indentation is greater at the
front or the back.

>  I would placing all the downwards force on one or the other edge of
>the bridge would be asking for problems.. i.e. bridge rolling etc.
>What is the benefit to doing it this way ?

The pressure is practically vertical and not "on the edge" of the
bridge.  If you calculate the forces you will see how much likelihood
there is of the bridge "rolling", even supposing that some
wonder-tuner has perfectly equalized the tension on every string each
side of the bridge.  The more the pressure is moved to the point
where the speaking length terminates, the better the string is united
with the bridge and the more likely to stay united under the effect
of upward shocks.  The quality of the string's terminations at both
bridges is extremely important.  To the left of the arrow the string
receives no upward shocks.

JD