Soundboard recrowning and rib re-arching.

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 18 10:45:57 MDT 2006

Hey, Terry, yore a  real smart guy, so I know, that
you know that when a  board is bent, 1 side goes into
compression, the other into tension. If it is then
glued to a panel, and said panel is smashed flatter
over the years, this rib must also go into
compression, somewhat, or no crown would be lost.
    So, why not flex the panel out, add something to
the wood to resist compression, then take out the
props ?  My only concern would be a loss of elasticity
to an increase in crown. CA is really, really hard! I
IMAGINE this would favor higher frequency production,
but that's not so bad, as it's usually the treble in
old pianos that gets flaccid.

     Thump