brash failure

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Aug 18 12:05:28 MDT 2006

At 11:35 am -0400 18/8/06, Ed Foote, A440A at aol.com wrote:

>...I believe that a very fine soundboard could be made with old spruce
>reattached to new ribs.

Yes, why on earth not?  What is all this talk of "brash failure"?
Brash wood is diseased, rotten wood -- brashness is not something
that happens to wood in the course of time but only as a result of
exposure to malign elements of one kind or another, usually before
conversion.  In a benign environment wood will not deteriorate and in
35 years of restoration I have dealt with only a tiny number of
pianos where wood has become brittle, usually, it seems, through the
prolonged effect of chemicals in its location, and most likely
smoking coal fires.  As regards spruce, I have never come across such
as thing, and I have never seen a maple shank that has become
brittle.  Those shanks that do become brittle are never maple in my
experience.

JD