$65 to adjust one damper?

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Aug 19 06:35:29 MDT 2006

The key here is discussing the situation with the client before doing any work. I don't even ease a key bushing without telling the client what I am wanting to do - even if I don't charge them for it. If nothing else, it lets the client know that I'm a good guy and making their piano better. And definitely, never pull an action with consent from the customer.

Regarding a mis-diagnosis of a problem. IMHO, if you know what you are doing and follow a logical approach to evaluating the problem, you charge for all your efforts - even if some avenues you pursue are a dead-end. However, if you do a task, it doesn't work, and then realize that you should have gone another route in the first place - a more logical route - I wouldn't charge for my mistake.

For instance - you have a buzz on a bass string C1 - maybe even have some faint buzzing from C2 and C3 - but C1 buzzes loudly. So you replace C1 and find that all the buzzes are still there. Then you go sniffing around under the plate and find a handful of pennies on the soundboard. You remove the pennies and all the buzzing goes away. In such a case, the more logical approach would have been to search under the plate first - I would charge the customer for the time it took me to locate and remove the pennies, but not for replacing the bass string.

I have done work that I didn't charge for. If its my goof, I don't charge.

But if the problem is with an action - you will almost always spent time looking at the wrong thing - but that is the way you assess an action. You start at the key, work your way to the wippen, check that out, move to the hammer butt and flange, etc., etc. Even though you spend a couple minutes evaluating the key and wippen - which were operating just fine - you bill them for that time because it was the logical course to follow.

Yesterday I spent a half-hour diagnosing several sticking keys on an Aeolian spinet. I charged them for all my time. I feel I followed a logical path, and finally made my diagnosis - the felt on the bottom of the damper levers had deteriorated and the spoon was catching on it somehow. She chose to fix the problem (I advised her to junk the piano), I yanked the action, and low-and-behold found that the spoons were like little 80-grit boring machines that had bored little bomb craters into the damper lever felt - never seen anything like that before - these perfectly shaped pits were just big enough for the spoon and went all the way through the felt to the wood. Anyway, seems like 30 minutes is a long time to find a dent in a piece of felt, but it was unusual and I felt I followed a logical progression during my effort.

Hope some of that helps.

Terry Farrell