Rolling to Pitch

Joel A. Jones jajones2 at wisc.edu
Sat Aug 19 07:14:55 MDT 2006

List,

I am mystified at what happened yesterday to a piano that
is tuned several times a year.  Last tuned in May at A-440
I found the overall pitch to be 20 + cents sharp.  Since this
piano is not my favorite so an extreme solution came to my
devilish mind.

Using the string roller I proceeded to go over every steel
string using generous force.   This accomplished two things.
1. It made me feel better physically as I rolled back and forth
on the strings.  2.  It brought the pitch down close enough so
that a one pass tuning was possible.

Question:
Why did this work?

Where was all the 'slack'
in the strings that put the pitch close to A-440?

Anyone have this experience particularly at this
time of year when the pitch is traditionally sharp?

Will this work if I roll the tenor strings above the bass break
where they  are usually sharper than the rest of the
piano after Summer humidity?

Totally mystified in Madison.

Joel

Joel Jones, RPT