Rolling to Pitch

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Aug 19 12:25:22 MDT 2006

> Where is the movement in the string going when it
> can be lowered without tuning any pins?

It's coming from the back scale as you pull the strings
through the bridge pins with your roller. Contrary to popular
belief, strings do render across bridges, it can happen
quickly with big tension differences between front and back
scales, or slowly over time. I expect you're adding at least
50 pounds to the string tensions in front of the bridge as you
roll them, which is enough differential between tensions in
the back scale, to pull the strings through. You've also put a
heck of a load at an unnaturally high angle on the bridge
notch edge during the rolling process, which didn't do the
bridge cap any favors. After tuning, you left the piano in a
far worse state of equilibrium than if you had just tuned it
as you found it, because back scale tensions are still likely
higher than they were when you got there, and will slowly more
nearly equalize as the string creeps across the bridge with
minor temperature and humidity changes breaking friction in
small increments and letting it move. That will pull the front
scale sharp again. It's getting less stable as it ages, I
think, because the wearing bridge pins are presenting a larger
contact area to the string, increasing friction, and making
rendering through the bridge less likely with each passing
year. So you're leaving a less stable tuning, on average, each
time it's tuned. This isn't an uncommon thing in pianos living
in rotten climate control conditions, where big pitch changes
are necessary with each tuning. Go back and check it in a
couple of weeks and see how it sounds. I expect you've got an
unpleasant surprise waiting. Meanwhile, throw that roller
away. <G>

Ron N