Rolling to Pitch

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Aug 19 15:01:05 MDT 2006

> Interesting point you raise about the bridge pin contact area increasing
> over time.....are you suggesting that it is or could be a good idea to
> very closely look for this when doing restringing and possibly replace
> the bridge pins in toto??? I had not heard this before but it surely
> sounds very reasonable.

Robin,
I found it... Here's a photo of the kind of notch edge
compression and pin damage you'll find. Here, a straight
length of wire is pressed into the string groove at the notch
edge for illustration. Note the angle it assumes relative to
the bridge top, and how the notch edge is crushed below the
point you would think the string is capable of reaching. You
can also see grooving in the near bridge. These (and loose
pins) are largely artifacts of the cap changing dimension with
humidity swings, and the reason that seating strings to
(sometimes) clear up false beats is of only temporary affect
at best, and doesn't fix the problem.

Recapping with something like this - 2nd photo - eliminates
most of the problems.
Ron N