Rolling to Pitch

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Aug 19 14:32:46 MDT 2006

> Ron,
>
> Interesting point you raise about the bridge pin contact area increasing
> over time.....are you suggesting that it is or could be a good idea to
> very closely look for this when doing restringing and possibly replace
> the bridge pins in toto??? I had not heard this before but it surely
> sounds very reasonable.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Robin Blankenship

Hi Robin,
No, I consider it a minimal necessity to renotch and replace
bridge pins (bedded in epoxy or CA) as a matter of course when
restringing. Even if the bridge looks fine, yank one of those
old pins out and take a look at it. It'll have a notch in it
about the height of the string where the shrinking and
swelling (seasonal changes) bridge cap has slid the string up
and down the pin through the years, scrubbing a flat spot. The
same process also crushed the notch edge and loosened the pin
in the cap, producing the usual false beating trebles.
Cleaning up the bridge cap and notches, and epoxying in new
pins throughout makes a much nicer and cleaner sounding job,
without the false beating treble.
Ron N