Brash Failure

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sat Aug 19 16:10:37 MDT 2006

List.

I found the below, along with an awful lot of other half descriptions of
brash wood on the net.   Many seem to hint at brashness being tied to
wood rot. Chk out the following picture and comments about brash
failure.
http://home.earthlink.net/~failure-analysis/Ch5mod.htm#_Toc17729116  .
This kind of brittleness is another entirely then the kind I usually
think about when I think of the term brittle.  I think of something very
dry and something that splinters into pieces quite easily, where as the
definitions I find as to brash failure are more that of a kind of
crumbling into bits that you find in rotten wood. Biological decay is
sited many times as a cause for brashness in wood.  ie... fungus amungus :)

    "Brashness - Brittleness in wood, characterized by abrupt failure
    rather than splintering. Causes include reaction wood, juvenile
    wood, compression failure, high temperature and extremes of growth rate.
    This was from the glossary of Hoadly's Understanding wood.

    If you work with wood with any sensitivity, you will learn to
    recognize reaction wood, and should expect it in juvenile wood, but
    if it is over-cooked, I don't think there are any visible clues."

Cheers
RicB