Brash Failure / cedar shanks

Gevaert Pierre pierre.gevaert at belgacom.net
Mon Aug 21 15:26:31 MDT 2006

Hi Isaac,

That makes sense. Last year i’ve been cleaning about fifty old uprights for
the museum where I work and a lot of these had the felt eaten by moths.

I didn’t notice if the pianos with cedar shanks were less or not
contaminated, but I’ll look for this in the next pianos that i’ll have to
clean. 30 uprights and about 60 squares to come !!) What i’ve noticed is
that the pianos with a lot of broken shanks are often these with cedar
shanks.

Pierre