lesser of touch weight evils...

Barbara Richmond piano57 at insightbb.com
Mon Aug 21 18:50:08 MDT 2006

Hi all,

Took a look at a Steinway A III (1921) today at a church.  The action had
been rebuilt sometime in the transition out of Teflon.  The repetitions are
Teflon, but the shanks/flanges are cloth bushed & have those dark colored
knuckles.  The piano plays like a truck, but sounds fairly nice (I'm
assuming the restringing job was done at the same time).  Of course, the
instrument has just been purchased (a technician, not I, gave it the OK--I
would have OK'd it, but mentioned the action) and there is either not enough
money for a new action, or the music director feels like he would take a lot
of heat for buying a piano that could use a new action.  I pointed out to
him that he got a good price for the piano and investing in a new action
wouldn't make their cash outlay more than it's worth.

The music director doesn't mind the touch, but he uses the piano for
teaching and the students are struggling.

#     D     U
C1   78   30
C2   75   20
C3   65   21
C4   64   29
C5   64   25
C6   64   24
C7   62   23
C8   54   25

As you can see, the friction is high--I checked out the hammer flange
pinning--some were a problem and some were not.  I figure some repinning,
polishing and lubing w/Teflon powder will help <somewhat>.

I measured the knuckle/center pin distance and it varied from 15 to 16 mm
with everything in between.  The16 mm was only on C8, by the way.

Maybe I don't have enough information, but here's the question anyway:  In
an effort to do something that would help--if I were to use that handy
Kaplan knuckle moving jig and install new knuckles at say, 16mm, do you
think it would make enough of a difference in the touch, or would I just be
spinning my wheels because of the Teflon repetitions.  Stupid me, I didn't
have test parts with me (40 miles from home) and, of course, didn't travel
with my Stanwood kit because I was told it only needed a little regulating.
Lesson learned.

BTW, I used my new Edward's action caddy today.  It's pretty slick!

Thanks for your thoughts,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, IL