Bluthner action regulation/specs

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Tue Aug 22 08:20:21 MDT 2006

 Hi All,

I know there are some people out there with old Bluthner(Bluthner action) experience that they are willing to share...please!

I got a little pamphlet from a friend with regulation recommendations and specifications, but it assumes that one knows more than I do about it at this point.

Yesterday's foray into the early stages of regulation--I plan to do it in small increments--was just to get it to the point where there was some letoff.  To start with, the keydip was at 8mm.  Specs call for 9mm, with a blow distance of 45mm.

I removed some swollen FR card punchings (must have been damp at some point) to get decent keydip.

A big question for me is the hammer "rest" rail.  Are the shanks supposed to be "resting" on it?  The pamphlet refers to it as a rest rail, not a rebound rail.  It is set so that the blow distance is 45 with hammers resting on it.

Any advice on spring bending, jack height adjustment (via capstan, I'm assuming), etc., would be most welcome.

It's a 1906 piano, I believe.  The owner got it fairly cheaply.  It's a sweet sounding old instrument.  All the parts are in reasonably good shape.  There will be no rebuilding on it, at least for some time to come, so what's there is what I've got to work with.

So it's kind of an open ended question.  Any advice on these pianos is more than welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Dave Stahl

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560