Kap German piano

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Aug 22 16:14:58 MDT 2006

At 3:23 pm -0400 22/8/06, KeyKat88 at aol.com wrote:

>  I have a customer with a Kap Piano. Has anyone ever heard of this
>brand. She said it was from Germany and it looks to be about 1920's
>- 30's. Because of the really fine cabinet veneer work and
>theÊcondition of the action parts, is this piano worth a new bass
>bridge?..or do only Steinways hold their value and are worthy of
>such work?

Kaps (not Kap) before the first war was a very interesting and
inventive maker and every Kaps I have seen has been of excellent
quality.  Many makers went rapidly downhill in quality after the war
and Kaps was finished by 1930.  I have never seen anything from after
the War so it's hard to tell, but from what you say it sounds good.
Why would it need a new bass bridge?

JD