Creeping center pins

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 20:49:22 MDT 2006

Michelle,
Pushing them back in is a very very temporary fix that will haunt you
if you don't fix it right the first time. If it's more than a few,
bring the action back to your shop workbench. Remove the parts from
their rails (offending hammer flanges, jack flanges, wippen flanges),
and repin with the next (half, hopefully) size up that won't push
through the birds eye by hand. Before repinning, ream the flange
bushing to achieve the proper amount of friction. Use the Mannino
broaches available from Schaff, and an inexpensive gram resistance
gauge.
This is good time to travel hammers by adding glued paper shims to
disobedient hanmmer flanges. And fix other stuff that needs attention.
If this isn't covered in your Reblitz and Potter materials, get the
various PTG books & PTJournal CDs ASAP, it's all in there somewhere.
Have fun,
Patrick Draine