Comin' Apart

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Aug 23 13:29:32 MDT 2006

At 10:19 am -0700 23/8/06, David Ilvedson wrote:

>Meaning...you pry up as you can and apply again?

Yes.  I thought I'd described the procedure in as much detail as possible when
At 8:21 am +0100 22/8/06, I wrote:

>In this case you'd do best to turn the piano on its back because you
>don't to risk getting it in the works.  Wedge up the loose part and
>squirt, drip or pour the alcohol into the V where it's still stuck.
>In a moment you will hear a crackling noise as the glue line begins
>to break.  Then  wedge it up further and get more meths in at the
>join, and so forth.  You'll be amazed at how quick and effective it
>is if you've never done it.  The important thing is not to rush it.
>Keep up the pressure by moving the wedges (any old bit of wood will
>serve as a wedge) as the meths does its work and don't try to force
>things along.  This is also the way to remove a wrestplank cleanly,
>or the sides of an upright etc.

And just to make another thing clear, meths or methylated spirit
<http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/ME/methylated_spirit.html> is ETHYL
ALCOHOL or ETHANOL with the addition of some methyl alcohol or
methanol and other noxious things to make it undrinkable.  It also
contains as much water as the seller can get away with, and I imagine
the same is true the world over.  It is the spirit that does the work
and not the water, so the purer the spirit the better.  Whether
isopropanol or methanol  or xylene would work I have no idea.  Two
weeks ago I used this method to remove the soundboard undamaged from
a 6'9 piano I was scrapping.  It took me about 20 minutes.

JD