drill bit for cast iron

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Thu Aug 24 04:10:01 MDT 2006

Make sure to clamp the separation closed, before drilling. This stops
sawdust from falling in the crack. The sawdust, might be vacuumed out,
but then again, the stuff in the bottom of the hole might be there to
stay, and hinder the closing of the gap.
I have had no problem in drilling with normal metal bits.
I use carriage bolts, with the head in the back, and use acorn nuts on
the front for neatness.
Bolt every lagbolt hole (or large screw) across the top, to prevent
further separation, even although, they look good now. Usually about 5.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca