drill bit for cast iron

Allan Gilreath, RPT allan at allangilreath.com
Thu Aug 24 05:55:39 MDT 2006

Ed, et al,

I find it far better to drill through the plate, if necessary so I can get a
bolt through the post rather than just a filler block on this type of
repair. I then use a long enough bolt so I can use a fender washer, if
there's room, a lock washer and the nut.  One reason for this is that I'm
depending on the bolt to hold the tension rather than glue since any glue
inserted would just be on top of a failed glue joint rather than to fresh
wood. The really creative part can show up in the lower tenor or bass when
the tuning pin plane doesn't allow for easy access to drill and bolt
directly through a post.

Btw, standard metal bits do fine as long as they're sharp and plenty of
pressure is used so that they cut rather than trying to burn a hole through
(as I imagine the masonry bit would.)

Allan
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT