Drilling Plate

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 24 08:24:35 MDT 2006

Bob Hull said: "Background: Yesterday I was trying to repair an
Everett console that had a separation crack between
the last lamination of the pinblock and the back beam.
I guess it's glue joint failure and a downward
warping of the wood from the downward pull of the
tuning pins.

I made plans to install 3 bolts 3/8" x 5"L after
applying CA down in the crack. However, drilling
through the plate took about 45 minutes to do 1 hole.
I used a carbide tipped masonry bit per the suggestion
of a industrial machine tool and supply co. I also
tried using a 1/4" bit first and then progressing to a
3/8" bit. So, I wound up just installing 1 bolt due
to time restraints.

I have done this repair a few times before but it's
been awhile and I don't remember it taking this long
to drill thru the plate. I used a good low rpm
electric drill vsr 0-600 rpms.

Any drill bit recommendations?"

Bob,
Just use a Sharp Jobbers Bit and be done with it! No need to use a carbide bit, IMO. Also, use a high speed/torque drill! IMO, you got bum advice from the machine tool jjoint!

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I