Kaps Upright

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Aug 24 13:01:41 MDT 2006

> I'm not Ron N. or Julia, as they would both be VERY quick to point out,
> but I'll put out a possible cause/effect sort of thing, anyway...
>
> If "doping" the pinblock is an effort to make tuning pins hold at a
> tension commensurate to that needed to tune the piano at a standard
> pitch, then, if the treatment is successful, and the piano is then
> brought up to that standard pitch, the total tension on the instrument
> will be higher than in it's untunable state and (big caveat coming...)
> if there is any downbearing on the bridge, there will be more pressure
> on the bridge.
>
> Am I close??
>
> Conrad Hoffsommer

Conrad,
For at least the rest of the afternoon, I'm not anyone at all,
but I still think it's a strange comment. She didn't say the
piano was untunable or below pitch, unless it was in an
earlier post and I missed it, but said the pins were starting
to get a little loose. Even so, the abuse that cracks bridges
comes from the side bearing of the stagger angle, rather than
the much lower downbearing forces.

Other than that, I'm still confused as usual.
Ron N