appraisal question another thonk?

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Aug 26 13:44:19 MDT 2006

At 9:37 am -0700 26/8/06, Bob Hull wrote:

>This B has a strange sound in the first 5 or 6 notes of the treble
>strings and bridge.  The tone is weak, reminds me of a really cheap
>sounding old baby grand, tone is unfocused, makes you think about
>poor termination somewhere;  I would perhaps describe it like  a
>recent post that mentioned a tenor "thonk".
>
>The  bridge glue joint in that area looks ok, bridge looks ok, there
>is some downbearing...

Looks is looks and ain't always is.  To me this sounds like a parting
of the end of the bridge from the soundboard and it would certainly
not be visible.  My guess is that you could cure the problem if you
were to drill a 4mm. hole through to the skirt of the bridge and the
soundboard very close to the bridge proper and clamp the bridge to
the board with a slotted bolt and nut (with suitable washers).  You
might need one or two more bolts through the skirt.  Before you do
that you can see whether this is indeed the problem by applying very
firm pressure to the end of the bridge and the skirt with padded
sticks and seeing if there is an improvement in the tone.

This job can be done very neatly and will have permanent effect until
one fine day the piano is restrung, at which time the bridge can be
reglued and the bolt holes plugged.

JD