faster whippen - Fandrich

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Aug 26 14:39:53 MDT 2006

At 1:31 pm -0600 26/8/06, Cy Shuster wrote:

>...Another interesting feature is the una corda shift.  Since
>there's no lost motion (shanks rest above the hammer rest rail, like
>a grand), the hammers are pushed closer to the strings by simply
>lifting the backs of the keys, with a piece of wood like a damper
>tray underneath them.  So to set key height, you simply turn a wing
>nut on the threaded rod connecting the pedal rod to the tray.  Very
>convenient!

Ah.  There's no sign of this feature in the pictures I saw here:
<http://www.dreams.org/staff/composer/music/piano/fandrich-action/>.
So all the keys move down when you press the half-blow pedal?  Rather
disconcerting in my experience, for certain old uprights do have
forward-weighted keys.  There's no substitute for a proper una corda
shift but so far as I know only Blüthner and Brinsmead ever did it.
Herrburger-Schwander made a very beautiful repetition action for
uprights in the early 1900s in order to meet the exigencies of the
player piano.  It was fitted to most Bechsteins and the bigger
Broadwoods.  I can't find a picture of it right now.  As to the
action that feels most like a grand, I'd think immediately of the old
Steinway action with the H flange.  This was designed for excellent
repetition without the need for fancy additions and when properly set
up with new hammers behaves very much like a grand and feels very
meaty.  There have been dozens of upright "repetition action" designs
over the past 120 years but a properly regulated and balanced upright
action even without these additions will repeat very well.

JD