Square grand question

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Sun Aug 27 17:00:23 MDT 2006

Greetings all --

In my naiveté as an Associate member I still look forward to the
opportunities of working on pretty much anything that comes my way. Well, at
least once, just for the experience. So, I just followed up on a referral to
a woman who has an old Weber rosewood square grand, sn: 18831, made in 1880.
The piano has been in her family since it was purchased new, and is
apparently in reasonable condition. Well, for a square.

The last time it was serviced was about five years ago and whoever did it
has disappeared. She says that there are a couple of notes that don't play,
or don't play well, and that the low bass and high treble are way out of
tune. She also says that the previous tech, in an attempt to bring it up "to
pitch" had raised the pitch from 392 to 415 but said that it should not be
raised any further.

Today's questions:

: Do I need a special tip for my hammer to go on the tuning pins? I have
stars, (of course), and an oblong.
: What pitch should it really be tuned to? (She doesn't care as long as it
sounds in tune.)
: If it won't hold pitch is CA an option?
: What should I watch out for?
: Also, any tips-n-tricks that can be offered, (besides running away), will
be appreciated.

No appointment has been made yet as she going out of town. This gives me
time to research this challenge and arrive, (hopefully), prepared. She knows
the piano has problems, and that parts and repair are going to be a major
deal. She has agreed that all work, both repair and tuning will be hourly.
She's not looking for miracles. She really just wants to get it to perform
well enough to get her though Thanksgiving and Christmas.

-- Geoff Sykes
-- Assoc. Los Angeles