D pinblock separation

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Wed Aug 30 12:34:01 MDT 2006

Greetings,
    I have just looked at a Steinway D, 1974 vintage.  There is a step
between the bottom of the pinblock and the crosspiece( cornice?) it is supposedly
dowelled to. The pinblock and crosspiece are flush with one another at each end,
with a slow rise across the center.   All original, pins are tight, seems
stable. A few dead bass strings, but the sounding structure seemed good.
However, I wonder how the block could have done this, under the plate, unless the
plate bolts are loose, or the plate is bending.  The potential buyers are
considering a new action, but will have reservations about more repair than that, at
this time.
      Anybody live around a piano with this condition and if so, any problems
showing up?  I didn't touch any plate bolts or screws, so can't say if they
are loose or not.
thanks,

Ed Foote RPT