D pinblock separation

Horace Greeley hgreeley at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 30 23:04:38 MDT 2006

There is another explanation for this, which is that it was not all that
unusual for S&S (especially D's) of this period to have the plate in too
high.  Something I have seen repeatedly, apparently done in an attempt to
partially compensation for this, is that the stack was located much higher
than normal.  It was then not unusual for the hammer flange screws to jam
against the under side of the pinblock, and the "fix" for this was to plane
the pinblock for clearance.  The pinblock would still meet the edges of the
inner rim at the height originally frazed in; and the crosspiece/stretcher
in front was usually not affected, so would remain as installed.  The
problem with the plate height had to do with improper frazing of the inner
rim and (later in manufacture) the top of the pinblock when fitting the
plate into the raw rim.

In short, I think I would be checking plate height (nominally 7-5/8" at note
# 62, measure from the keybed to the under side of the capo); and looking to
see if the under side of the pinblock looked as if it had been
machined/planed after orginal manufacture (they aren't unless there are
clearance problems).

I would be very interested to know what you find.  I hope this helps a bit,
Ed.  With all that you contribute to the list, I am very glad to be able to
return the favor.

Best.

Horace