CA on pinblock

Richard Morgan rsanbornmorgan at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 31 07:07:40 MDT 2006

Well, I think I've encountered my first piano that could really benefit from CA treatment on the pinblock, and am looking forward to experiencing a new technique.  I will access the archives for specific directions.  However, I would like to confirm (unseen and unfelt) my suspicions/diagnosis.

The piano is an old J & C Fischer, with several pins that, as soon as merely a touch is added to the tuning hammer, will loose tension.  Many pins still have enough tightness to feel secure, but where there is one loose pin, there are also a few around it in the same condition.  I was able to work with the loose pins and get them to set, but am not at all sure how long they will stay.  The piano had recently been moved, and the jostling (by inexperienced friends of the owner) may easily have resulted in some (though not all of them) loose pins that were already set loosing tension.  So, I'm hopeful that the tuning will hold, since it will encounter no moves now.

I alerted the owner to the problem, and told her that if some notes go significantly out of tune relatively soon, then it will probably need CA.  Do you think my diagnosis is logical, or might this just be a POS piano that they would be better off replacing, rather than throwing money into?

Thanks in advance for your sage advice!
Richard Morgan