Something other than lead? was Re: Stephen...Two Remedies to correct a light action

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Fri Dec 1 10:34:40 MST 2006

One thing that I'm quite pleased with in the new Kawai pianos is the use of stainless steel for weighting keys.  I'm hoping that there will be an aftermarket version of something similar available soon.  Lead is nasty stuff.  It would be a good solution if longterm exposure to it wasn't hazardous.

I did some damper timing changes in the other direction on a grand piano awhile back and was taken to task on this list...  Ya live and ya learn, hopefully.  I set the keys to lift the dampers later in order to change the perception of the touchweight.  Worked okay, but for many reasons, it's not an ideal solution.  As many said at that time, there is "fudge factor" room, but drastic alterations aren't generally recommended.

Dave Stahl