Welding Cast Iron

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 2 15:22:55 MST 2006

David said: "If all else fails...any chance it can be welded? I have cast
iron pedals welded all the time. I think they use some sort of brass
material?..."

David,
Not the best welding material, so I've been told. Welding with "brass
material" is usally done with an Acetylene Torch. Too much heat is
required..which causes to many inner stresses to crop up. The best is
Nickel Rod on an Arc Welder. I have it done often, by a Farm
Mechanic/Welder. The process is: weld a short section, (1/2" to 1"). Stop.
Get slag hammer and beat the crap out of it. Repeat. I've had this done on
welding of plates. Has served me well, so far. (knock on my maple bench.<G>)
Regards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I