Problems with new Steinways

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Sun Dec 3 10:32:15 MST 2006

>>     While I'm on a roll why is every problem presented to Steinway
>> the first time they've heard of this and someone else's fault....
>>    End of rant.
>>     Tom Driscoll RPT

Because they, and many, many other entities in our little world, have
a different practical code of ethics than you have in your
business...there's a whole lot of untruths, myths, white lies, edits,
stretches, that are tacitly, silently accepted,  and their business
runs as if they were true----and when they're shown to be false, the
entity 1. makes you wrong for even hinting that the truth lies
somewhere else; 2. denies the truth; 3. refuses to cooperate,
possibly while saying "that's not covered under the warranty" or
"we've certainly never seen that before." It's just standard
operating procedure for these entities, who in my opinion have lost
the essence of the Golden Rule long ago. It's a shame, but it's life.
And it's an opportunity for us all to be THE trusted link in the
piano chain; it gives us tremendous power and influence with honest
people.

The decision to operate on different principles, and stick to them,
is difficult in the short run but exponentially fulfilling and
uplifting in the big picture---it's what brings true respect.  So: my
advice to all my wonderful friends and colleagues here on this
precious list is to tell the truth, accept things as they are, put
energy into the positive---I'm taking care of your piano, and I'll
make it as good as it can be, and you'll LOVE it----rather than the
negative----rrrrrrrrr Steinway  rrrrrrr the dealer rrrrr the piano
industry rrrrrrrr the last guy who worked on your piano rrrrrrr my
hand hurts.....be nice; be happy to be there; be excited about making
the piano better.

Happy Sunday, kids.......

David Andersen