Problems with new Steinways

Alan R. Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 3 15:01:25 MST 2006

I will NOT recommend new Steinways to any customer without some serious discussion.

The Steinway is a piano. It is ONLY a piano. It is a very well designed piano. It can be a great sounding piano. It can be a great playing piano. It has (had) a great reputation.

It is ABSURDLY overpriced. It is priced as a luxury item, like Cadillacs. And the only REAL added value in a luxury item is luxury service. But they want to sell Cadillac pianos and provide Yugo service.

It's bad enough that they are so often snotty and arrogant with techs, but they also disrespect their customers. This is beyond inexcusable.

And, by the way, have there been any real Steinway design changes or innovations in the last 50 years that weren't unmitigated disasters?

No company can ride on its reputation forever. I give Steinway 10 years and they'll either be out of business or limited to selling Chinese-made pianos cheap. "Introducing the all-new 2012 Boston Steinway LX"

How come smart business people are so often so stupid????????? And are there any actual piano people still working for S&S? Seems like they are 90% marketing (hype and BS, largely) and 10 percent manufacturing. Engineering? Quality Control? Apparently, not much.

Have they EVER listened to comments, advice, complaints, or ideas from those of us in the trenches--let alone modify a design, no matter how flawed (M backscales, anyone?)????? Yamaha heard us on the GA-1 and now we have the GB-1 with is vastly improved tenor scale. Steinway, I fear ONLY listens to the musical tones of tinkling cash.

The decline of the American automobile industry might have served as a real warning, had they been watching. Go Toyota! Go Kawai!

How's THAT for a rant? Love and joy to all ...

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

"Don't believe everything you think."