Knuckle question

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Dec 3 15:43:28 MST 2006

Stephen

You are wrong, again. I am sorry you persist in this, but you are
wrong.  Every set of knuckles comes with a marker on one side of the
core indicating the direction one needs to glue the knuckles. This is
because of the direction of the nap of the leather. This stuff is just
fact and there is no point in disputing it.  As far as leather loosing
its grip on the felt core... this too is a common problem with old and
used knuckles.  The condition is a known contributer of high friction
levels in pianos that have seen high use.  And to infer that installing
a new set of knuckles would be more problematic then reinstalling (in
reverse direction) a set that have been removed.... well this is pure
balderdash.  Matching sizes (if thats what one indeed wants to do
always) a problem ????  Come on.  This is foolish.  As I said before.
You are addressing a group which has many members with many years
experience in all aspects of piano maintenance.

I do not wish to be rude and have no intentions of being so.  But your
whole post reveals that you do not know what you are talking about.  Do
what you wish to your own pianos. But putting disinformation like this
on the list will necessarily elicite  responses in correction.

Sorry bout that... but just so.

Cheers
RicB

    There is no 'front ' or 'back' indicated in replacement knuckles because
    there isn't any. It would be virtually impossible for the leather on
    knuckles in a piano of
    some quality become unglued, or be of different consistency on
    either side.
    At least in the Yamaha, the leather is well glued and very stable w