Baldwin catchers and Kawai upgrade

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Dec 3 17:13:06 MST 2006

> I am preparing to do another Baldwin 243 action repair- replacing all
> the catcher and knuckle “leathers” that have turned extremely hard. I’ve
> done this a few times before, I think using buckskin squares supplied
> from somewhere, PianoTek, I think. I am wondering what others are using.
> Is anyone using escaine for this and where do you get it?

Hi Dean,
For a long time, Baldwin supplied Ecsaine replacements. I
doubt they still do, or if so, they probably glow in the dark
now. It's marketed in the US as Ultrasuede, and you could
probably buy some in your color of choice in a local fabric
store, or on line.

> Also, I have a church client with a Kawai KG-5D. I would really like to
> help this piano, it needs help. It is probably 20 years old and all
> original. I’m thinking a new set of Arledge bass strings and Wurzen
> hammers would do wonders- perhaps mass loading the treble (something
> I’ve never tried before). Again, I would highly value your opinions and
> input.

Restringing, possibly rescaling, with new hammers would likely
help a bunch. Beyond that, it depends on the definition of
"needs help".
Ron N