Knuckle question

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sun Dec 3 20:39:13 MST 2006

<< Which raises the question; are hide glue and wood

glue high solid glues? >>

Greetings,
  I used to use hide where gap filling properties were needed, but have
changed my mind.  I think the Bolduc glue, as well as Titebond do a better job, and
there is a lot of talk about "Trim glue" lately.
    Hide glue can be quite thick and still adhere, but I don't think it is as
strong when set as some other.  I use it for felt because large areas can be
glued quickly, and I use it for parts that I know I will be replacing,since it
is easily broken without damaging the wood, but for Knuckles, I think Bolduc
is probably the best way to go. The core is not really heavily stressed,but
you certainly want this joint to be tight.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT