Article about bridge agraffes - function, types

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Dec 4 08:55:48 MST 2006

Hi folks.

I've been looking into the whole idea of bridge agraffes as well this
past couple years. Strikes me that the major problem with the standard
bridge pin solution is that half of the (string) clamp is made out of
wood.  Otherwise the idea of offset pins seems quite sound and about as
simple as it can get.   So,  I submit the following idea for front and
back pins. Made of brass and standard bridge pins... the inserts are
mounted into a standard wooden bridge using epoxy for solid attachment
and will allow the builder to determine exactly the desired string
angles fore and aft of the bridge simply by determining the height of
the inserts.  The string does not touch the wood of the bridge surface
inbetween the inserts at any point.  The pins in the inserts are
vertical in orientation and there is a slight shallowing of the width of
the pins at the base of each pin where it enters the insert to function
as a lock for the string.  Combined side bearing and this shallowing
will hold the string tightly to the surface of the insert.

I've made a few prototypes and plan on installing them in a beater early
in the comming year.

Cheers
RicB