Problems with new Steinways

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Mon Dec 4 15:54:53 MST 2006

In light of this thread on our favorite piano maker, I had an
interesting conversation with one of our photography professors last
week.  He was telling me of the myriad problems with a camera line that
I had always thought of as the top quality, most expensive medium format
camera.  Things like frequent light leaks, and oddly a camera body that
shrinks!  It is an aluminum alloy that in 8 - 10 years (unlike Young
Chang brackets) shrinks!  This changes the distance from the lens to the
film plane making the pictures out of focus.  We compared notes on the
workmanship of these supposedly top line products.

It was interesting!

dave

David M. Porritt
dporritt at smu.edu