Controlled Steam Voicing

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Mon Dec 4 18:28:56 MST 2006

Done it.

S&S "S", very hard lacquered hammers.  These hammers were painful, literally, to hear.  Filed hammers, steamed liberally (probably three passes, all told of maybe 3 seconds per hammer).  Followed by needling strike point to further reduce the crash.  Really worked quite well.

Best,
William R. Monroe

  We had a nice technical presentation by Mr Bondi at our chapter meeting last week, on Roger Jolly's method of steam voicing.  It was the opinion of all that although this technique works well for the hard pressed Asian hammers, that it may not work well for lacquered hammers.

  I am curious about the results you all may have had on various flavours of lacquered hammers using this voicing technique.

  Dave
  Smith

  SW FL