Problems with new Steinways

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Wed Dec 6 01:40:29 MST 2006

Hi David, Dale... others

I'm more or less of like mind to David Lawsons comment. Dale, Eric
Schandall from Steinway is someone you know well enough.  He stated
outright in Stockholm that he has high regard for you personally.  It
would seem to me that despite the fact that he is not in the Service
department that you have a certain inside route to take advantage of.

The flip side of all this is Steinways perspective, which no doubt is
equally complicated as the rest of it.  There are some pretty hard
accusations going around directed solely at them.  For example this
whole bit about the self-destructive soundboard design.  Whenever that
subject comes up here it seems laced with less then flattering glances
in their direction only.  This despite the fact that virtually every
major international player also employs the CC board in one or another
of its variant forms.  Another example would be the attacks made on the
front duplex.  Perhaps some of the problems between there service
department and non-aligned techs is connected to a certain degree of
what I would view as understandable wariness towards potential hostiles.

My point I guess is that  I hear several different criticisms being
leveled here.  Dales and some others goes along the lines of wanting a
better dialog with the service end of Steinway.  If this is all thats
needed then I would think that would be doable.  I can think of several
approaches that might work.  On the other hand no one in their right
mind, and certainly not Steinway is going to have much time for a group
of techs that demonstrate a hostile attitude towards their product as a
whole.

There is a lot of back and forth here... and problem solving requires
that all interested parties do their upmost to keep those processes on a
positive plane.  I think its fair to say that very much of whats been
written about Steinway on this list has been outside of that realm these
past years.  I would personally expect a company in this kind of
environment to hold close to its own... for better or worse.

Cheers
RicB

/Pandantic : marked by a narrow focus on or display of learning
especially its trivial aspects./

    Perhaps you blokes over there should get together with Steinways and
    put your point of view. Let's face it, Steinway are an icon in the
    industry and are generally looked up to, and should be encouraged to
    do better.  Would they sit down and talk or are they too big for
    their boots?

    David Lawson Wangaratta Australia

     Ric
    Thanks
    I like David Loves commentary.  Seems to strike home with me.
    Steinway drives the world industry. Take it or leave it, it doesn't
    matter & I can't nor do I care to change it.  What I would change is
    dialogue from them to the Attending Technician in the case of
    warranties.  I'd like to be treted as an ally instead of a peon
    whos's not trying to help or treated as though I couldn't possibly
    know as much as they in regards to the service protocol their
    piano.  Pedantic attitude comes to mind.