Cleaning and/ or polishing up Ebony finish

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Dec 6 07:07:51 MST 2006

Yes it does. Lacquer is going to be fairly thin, so you gotta be careful and
not too agressive. Poly opens up a whole range of aggressive approaches.
Basically, however you'd want to rub-out/polish your Corvette or fiberglas
boat is what you can do to your piano finish - same stuff.

How old is the piano? I know some older Japanese pianos from the 1960s or so
did indeed have lacquer finishes. But if it's only ten or twenty years old,
it is very likely polyester. Remove the fallboard - look around - look at
screw holes - if you can see that the finish is very thick, like it looks to
be a millimeter or so thick, it is polyester.

Terry Farrell