mortising attachment for drill press

MICHAEL MORVAN keymaestro at verizon.net
Thu Dec 7 16:35:23 MST 2006

Ed,
    I have used a mortising attachment in a drill press, and as Frank stated
you can ruin your machine and you can buy a mortising machine for cheap
money. You can use Bill Spurlock's mortise sizing cauls as Terry stated,
they work great if the mortise is okay, but it sounds like yours are very
bad. If you were to use a mortising machine to fix mortises you might
consider two things: 1. the smallest chisel I've been able to find is 1/4
inch, this is wider than any factory mortise width and the cloth would have
to be super thick, this leads to an unstable mortise, 2. once a mortise is
distorted and wood is ripped out, it would be tough to center a cutter to
remove wood evenly on both sides, then you would have a spacing nightmare.
This topic of mortise repair/replacement is a wonderful reason to bush keys
with hot hide glue. Look at the mortise replacement slideshow on my website,
it is not terribly difficult to replace a mortise, sometimes its easier than
other alternatives, but you'll need some buttons, a router and a table saw.
Good luck, let the list know how you made out.
Michael A. Morvan
Blackstone Valley Piano
Dedicated To Advancing The Art Of Keyboard Restoration
76 Sutton Street
Uxbridge, Ma. 01569
(508) 278-9762
Keymaestro at verizon.net